Overview of the position
The President and CEO reports to the BioOne Board of Directors and supervises all aspects of BioOne’s operation and management. As the executive leader of BioOne, the President and CEO develops and, upon approval by the Board, implements a vision that serves BioOne’s core constituencies and expands its reach with new products, services, and audiences to ensure its long-term health and financial stability. With guidance from the Board, the President and CEO leads long- and short-range planning, prepares and manages the budget, develops and implements policies, oversees marketing and sales, leads the development and maintenance of relationships with libraries, publishers, and scientists, and manages the BioOne staff. The President and CEO serves as the primary liaison between BioOne and all other organizations and agencies.
Essential duties and responsibilities
The President and CEO of BioOne
- -Identifies and recommends to the Board new business opportunities that expand the services offered and/or the audiences served by BioOne.
- -Implements and manages all business, technological, operational, marketing, and administrative/personnel programs and activities in accordance with Board-approved plans, budgets, policies, and directives and ethical business practices.
- -Serves as BioOne’s principal spokesperson in communications with publishers, libraries, scientists, and the broader community.
- -Supervises BioOne’s staff of seven and sustains a productive work environment.
- -Monitors the design and implementation of all technology systems on which BioOne depends.
- -Oversees all managerial and administrative activities including but not limited to,, human resources, a finance and accounting, customer relations, partner services,, and compliance with local, state, and federal law.
Successful applicants will demonstrate an ability to build strategic relationships, nationally and globally, relating to:
- -Opportunities outside BioOne
- -Communities beyond the BioOne Board and staff
- -Strategic change with a transformative impact
Successful applicants will lead the development of innovative strategies in a non-profit organization involving a large number of independent stakeholders.
- -Identify and develop new services or audiences.
- -Identify new technologies that enhance BioOne’s services and evaluate their potential
Required education, experience, knowledge, skills, and ability
- -5+ years professional experience working in a complex environment with many groups of stakeholders and balancing related but distinct interests.
- -Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- -Clear, persuasive, and effective written and oral communication skills, including the ability to summarize complex technical issues and to identify the essence of an issue.
- -Active and attentive observation skills, with the ability to persuade others, inside and outside an organization, to gain support and commitment for organizational goals.
- -Experience providing high quality and time sensitive service for a variety of audiences.
- -Track record of setting, managing, and meeting timelines on projects that require coordination among many groups and individuals.
- -Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively, adjust to changing circumstances, remain attentive to details, and exercise sound judgment in problem-solving.
Valuable education, experience, knowledge, skills, and ability
- -Strong interpersonal skills; able to develop and manage productive relationships with employees, consultants, partners, and others.
- -Demonstrated ability to lead organizational change.
- -Familiarity with open access, open data, open education, open science, scientific/scholarly communication, data analytics.
- -General familiarity with editorial and business practices in scientific publishing, including awareness of revenue models and editorial practices in scientific journals.
- -Awareness of trends in scholarly publishing, digital technologies, and professional scientific organizations.
- -Experience in higher education, scholarly publishing, or academic research.
- -Demonstrated ability to manage geographically dispersed employees, contractors, and collaborators.
Location: Due to the ongoing pandemic duties associated with this position may initially be performed remotely. When government and local health officials determine that employees may return to work sites in Washington, DC BioOne expects the President/CEO either to be located in the Washington, DC area or willing to travel there regularly.
Overtime Status: Not Overtime Eligible
Compensation Range: Salary – $225,000-$275,000 depending on experience. The comprehensive benefits package includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, a 15% employer match on 401(k) contributions, pre-tax Metro benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick and volunteer time off.
Start Date: January 3rd, 2022
How to apply
Please submit the required documents below to email@example.com as a single PDF, titled by last and first name, and subject line as B1 Job Opening.
- -A cover letter describing your interest in the position and previous experiences that qualify you for the position
- -A brief CV or resume describing relevant professional experience
- -Names and contact information of three references. (References will be contacted only for finalists.)
Review of Applications Beginning: June 7th, 2021
BioOne is an independent, nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) corporation. BioOne is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. BioOne’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which its employees work.